[Sidefx-houdini-list] Converting FK to IK?

Peter Bowmar pbowmar at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 12:09:48 EST 2006

Hello,
     I'm kind of sick right now and my normally slow brain is moving
backwards it seems... I have some mocap data in IK (from Biovision)
that works OK (mildly broken but I can fix it with a script). However,
mcbiovision isn't bringing in the feet and hand "leaf" nodes so I
don't have hands :(
     However, mcacclaim is correctly bringing in the feet and leaf
nodes, but has a lot of bone flipping problems so I can't use it
directly. Also, bizarrely, the scale is off. What I've done that seems
to work is take the FK Acclaim feet and hand objects and graft them
onto the IK from Biovision to create a complete character. All fairly
easily scripted so far.
     What I can't get my little brain around is converting the FK
hands and feet (mostly the hands) to IK so I'm not mixing editing
solutions when it comes time to edit this frankenstein monster. IK has
a lot of advantages over FK for mocap editing, I've found recently :)
    So, anyone have any ideas? I was thinking I could put a null as
the child of the FK bone, then use a Geometry CHOP to capture its
world position space, then I'd have an affector and then convert the
bone to IK. Does that make sense though? I could script that pretty
easily too I'd think...

Cheers,

Peter B