[Sidefx-houdini-list] slow cops

Louis louis at realisestudio.com
Wed Mar 22 12:04:32 EST 2006

some invaluable blurb I got from the friendly folk at Side Effects:

There are roughly 39 32x32 tiles for every 200x200 tile, which is the
default (and determined to be optimal). This means there is
approximately 40x the overhead (both performance & memory). Compositing
operations also are accelerated when more pixels are available to
process at once, and a 32x32 tile tends to negate this advantage. You
would only use such a small tile size if the resolution you were using
was also very small (like 60x40). I would recommend you change it back
to 200x200.

Also, when 'Reduce Cache Size when Inactive' is enabled, after a certain
period of time (~5min), the max cache size is slowly reduced from 100Mb
to 47Mb. This causes more cooking to be performed if you aren't
constantly working in COPs (but it frees up more memory for the rest of
Houdini).

If you are working consistently in COPs, increase the Max cache size to
around 300Mb, and turn off 'Reduce Cache Size when Inactive'. This
should give you better overall interactivity.

beers
Louis