[Sidefx-houdini-list] Rendering a short film

Lisa Reynolds lisa at red3d.com
Mon Mar 20 19:19:20 EST 2006

Hi Steve,

I looked at Siggraph's call for this year (now passed) and they are
abandoning tape and film completely. Jury screening is done via DVD
or online. They are mastering to 1920 x 1080 24p and have asked for
individual frames (30 or 24 fps) and a separate soundtrack. No
mention of what file format they wanted. It sounds like rendering at
24 fps might be a better idea as the conversion to 30 fps goes better
than the reverse direction. I read at one site that you can store 24p
video on a DVD and the player will do the 3:2 pulldown on the fly,
but I can't find any information to verify this. Not sure how that
would work.

It's difficult to figure out which format will give me the best
quality but have minimal artifacts if it has to be converted to
something else.

-Lisa