[Sidefx-houdini-list] Rendering a short film

Steve Agland sagland at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 16:21:57 EST 2006

Hi Lisa,

As Mark said, assuming you can't afford the luxury of film, PAL or NTSC is
the way to go. Festivals almost always want your entry to be in digital
betacam or beta sp format - this is definitely the case for Siggraph. Some
of the less formal festivals might accept DVDs these days, but if you want
to be able to submit to any festival in the world, aim to get two digital
betacam masters, one in PAL and on in NTSC. To keep it simple you should
probably pick one of these formats (say, NTSC, if that's your local, but I
prefer PAL) to render in, and have your PAL master professionally dubbed
from this. Or you could try to produce the two formats yourself.

Keep the two masters, and make copies to send to the festivals - NTSC for
North America and Japan, and PAL for everywhere else, if I remember right.
:)

As for getting your short from rendered TGAs onto your video masters, I'm
not sure. I was lucky enough to have contacts in a company that could do
this for me when I was submitting my short to festivals. Ring around the
local video production companies and see what they need. I recently did some
compositing for a friend who was directing a video. I ended up supplying him
with an uncompressed video format on some type on a portable hard drive...

Anyway if you don't want to think about video production yet, just start
rendering out at a PAL or NTSC resolution or frame rate to uncompressed
targas or tiffs. Resolutions/frame rates for these are easy to find
(widescreen is another choice to make I guess...?)

Cheers

Steve