[Sidefx-houdini-list] audio - chops

Andrew D Lyons tstexture at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 14:26:10 EST 2006

I spent a lot of time doing this kind of thing in 2000. It helps a lot
to have the original multi-track master of your audio. WIth the bass
track on it's own you can kind of do something. If not you can
probably still apply band pass filters or a low pass filter to isolate
low frequencies.

In general, gettiing animation curves off bass lines is tricky because
the perceived onset of the note and it's envelope is often different
to the signal power. As an example, peak signal power can be a little
after the actual pluck.

Even with the bass track isolated on the master, in the end I was
forced to band pass filter out the mid-frequency sound of the plectrum
on the strings to get the onset, and then create a synthetic envelope
from that using the lag CHOP and other envelope tools. In a mix, you
probably won't be able to isolate the plectrum sound, and so you may
be forced to tap in the rhythm of the bass line using a keyboard chop
or some other input device, and create a synthetic envelope that way.

Cheers