[Sidefx-houdini-list] converting point/particle rotations to Euler rotations

Andrew D Lyons tstexture at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 17:39:48 EST 2006

Hi,

I'm guessing others have come across this problem so I thought I'd
bounce it here for ideas.

In Houdini we tend to rotate vectors such as "N" and "up" a lot to
create point/particle rotations.

Say for instance you have some external software that requires all
point/particle rotations to be described as Euler rotations.

What's the best, sure-fire, works-every-time solution to this
conversion? (Something that can look at a point that has been aligned
by noise fields, follow pops, rotation pops and transform sops and
give a clean Euler representation?)

NB: For motion blur reasons it needs to calculate continuous
rotations. ie - 359 + 2 = 361 -not- 359 + 2 = 1

Cheers

P.S. Have seen Particle CHOP. Ideally we want to pull in points from
SOPS - not just POPs. Also perhaps specify rotation order like Object
CHOP.