[Sidefx-houdini-list] houdini crashes...

Dries dries at urga.be
Fri Mar 3 13:54:13 EST 2006

John Coldrick wrote:

>On Thursday 02 March 2006 03:40, Dries wrote:
>

>>As for 64bit "functionality", I just wanted to say that it is not get
>>the to the bottom of my hardware that I would want to use 64 bit
>>software. It just becomes more difficult to run 32bit on a 64bit
>>machine.
>>

>	Why?  The only trouble I've had is when you get into plugins - for instance
>balancing the compile version of Firefox with mplayer with the codecs, stuff
>like that.  However, going all 32-bit has never been a problem for me, for
>anything.

Indeed, all 32-bit is fine. When downloading a distro and there is a
choice for 32 or 64 bit, a magical power is moving my mouse towards the
64bit download link like a magnet. It's the same force that puts all
those belgian chocolates in my mouth.

>>An itch with 32bit on 64bit machine is this now: I can't run the houdini
>>help system anymore. Is that due to java? Which is 64bit on my machine.
>>

>	AFAIK I'm running the 64 bit java in JAVAHOME but definitely using the 32 bit
>houdini.   I have the following installed: a 32 bit java 1.4.2 and the
>(default) 64 bit 1.5.0, if that helps.  Yast lets you deal with all this -
>search for java in  Manage Software and check the "versions" tab.  Lemme see
>- here's my settings:
>
>	JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib64/jvm/jre
>	JAVA_ROOT=/usr/lib64/jvm/jre
>	JAVA_BINDIR=/usr/lib64/jvm/jre/bin

I'm Ubuntu now. I'm sure there is a document out there that gets this
running. I'll look into it. Thanks for confirming.

>>The help runs fine on houdini64 without any tinkering.
>>Sesi is trying to reproduce the path object bug (although chance is
>>small it is their code that causes it), so if anyone would be running
>>into the same, please report back.
>>

>	*Definitely* issues between NFS on Linux and OSX.

The bug I ran into with the path object has nothing to do with the nfs
and only occured when running houdini 64 bit. I haven't pinned it down
yet, and it's probably low on the priority list. It's nice to hear that
sesi is trying to troubleshoot even an unofficial distro. One other
person reported the same thing.

>We run a Linux server here
>on giggie and all the OSX transfers *to* the server positively crawl.
>Pulling is fine.  Related to async I think, but anyway there's been lots of
>ongoing traffic (and arguments :) ) on the lists over this.  Personally I'd
>never run an OSX server in the middle of a Linux pipeline, simply because
>Linux would do a better job.

It would I'm sure. Just that my os x is the editing system. I render
directly on the raid for direct realtime playback. Don't have the money
for fibre network yet.

>	Cheers,
>
>	J.C.

And you too John.