[Sidefx-houdini-list] houdini crashes...

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Fri Mar 3 09:39:47 EST 2006

On Thursday 02 March 2006 03:40, Dries wrote:
> As for 64bit "functionality", I just wanted to say that it is not get
> the to the bottom of my hardware that I would want to use 64 bit
> software. It just becomes more difficult to run 32bit on a 64bit
> machine.

	Why?  The only trouble I've had is when you get into plugins - for instance
balancing the compile version of Firefox with mplayer with the codecs, stuff
like that.  However, going all 32-bit has never been a problem for me, for
anything.

> An itch with 32bit on 64bit machine is this now: I can't run the houdini
> help system anymore. Is that due to java? Which is 64bit on my machine.

	AFAIK I'm running the 64 bit java in JAVAHOME but definitely using the 32 bit
houdini.   I have the following installed: a 32 bit java 1.4.2 and the
(default) 64 bit 1.5.0, if that helps.  Yast lets you deal with all this -
search for java in  Manage Software and check the "versions" tab.  Lemme see
- here's my settings:

	JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib64/jvm/jre
	JAVA_ROOT=/usr/lib64/jvm/jre
	JAVA_BINDIR=/usr/lib64/jvm/jre/bin

> The help runs fine on houdini64 without any tinkering.
> Sesi is trying to reproduce the path object bug (although chance is
> small it is their code that causes it), so if anyone would be running
> into the same, please report back.

	*Definitely* issues between NFS on Linux and OSX.  We run a Linux server here
on giggie and all the OSX transfers *to* the server positively crawl.
Pulling is fine.  Related to async I think, but anyway there's been lots of
ongoing traffic (and arguments :) ) on the lists over this.  Personally I'd
never run an OSX server in the middle of a Linux pipeline, simply because
Linux would do a better job.

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada