[Sidefx-houdini-list] houdini crashes...

Dries dries at urga.be
Thu Mar 2 03:40:09 EST 2006

Well, yes. This is a quadro card you are mentioning. I will have to
start believing that the high-end cards are supported better on linux,
although nvidia uses a unified driver. Which would be a real shame and a
bad stategy in my of course very humble opinion. If we want linux to
catch on on the desktop, better do it from the low-end up I would think.
As I stated earlier, because of my nvidia instability, I'm reluctant to
buy a 1000+ EUR graphics card.

I'm sure the problem I was having is probably gonna get nailed at some
point in the future (although so far only 1 other guy reported the same
bug). The frustrating thing is: it could be next month or next year.

As for 64bit "functionality", I just wanted to say that it is not get
the to the bottom of my hardware that I would want to use 64 bit
software. It just becomes more difficult to run 32bit on a 64bit
machine. I probably should have gone for a 32bit os completely, but as
you agree, everything open source runs fab on linux64 nowadays.
An itch with 32bit on 64bit machine is this now: I can't run the houdini
help system anymore. Is that due to java? Which is 64bit on my machine.
The help runs fine on houdini64 without any tinkering.
Sesi is trying to reproduce the path object bug (although chance is
small it is their code that causes it), so if anyone would be running
into the same, please report back.