[Sidefx-houdini-list] houdini crashes...

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Wed Mar 1 08:52:48 EST 2006

On Wednesday 01 March 2006 05:41, Dries wrote:
> Still, I would like your comment on the 64bit version of houdini and
> would like to know what distro you are running with what graphics card.

	SUSE 10 with an FX3600, which is the PCIe version of the FX3000 AFAIK.  Using
SUSE's recommended 64 bit driver, which I believe was the same as the default
one you were running - 1.0-7676.  When running 64 bit it's critical that you
use at least that version of driver *and* the 2.6.11 kernel and up.  There
was a major issue with the earlier kernel that got dealt with in 11.  I'm
currently running 2.6.13.

> I'm asking not because I desperately want 64bit functionality,

	I know I harp on this a lot, but can you briefly describe what that is?
Right now, 64 bit means three things to me - good for *extremely* large
datasets, bad for memory use, and buggy drivers - no matter what OS you're
running.  This is based on my experience running it, not theory.

> I know one Mark form sesi is running debian unstable, but that scares me
> a bit. Although I'm willing to do some maintenance, I'm afraid with such
> a system, I'll do but maintenance.

	I don't think Mark was suggesting Debian - I think it was more about that he
was able to run a fairly bleeding edge system without your troubles.  Getting
the nfs thing out of the way was good - I sensed it was another issue.

> So, if anyone is running complete
> 64bit succesfully, please let me know.

	Honestly, I don't run it because it introduces a major hassle in our
pipeline.  We'd need to fork the internal code for 32 and 64 bit, and I'm
avoiding it for now - no real need for it.  At some point, of course, it's
all going that way as you say, and the 32 bit systems will be in the
minority.

	Anyway, sorry I can't help you there, but at least I'm running the 64 bit
graphics drivers without any troubles, Houdini aside.

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada