[Sidefx-houdini-list] Demo Reel Question

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Fri Jul 28 12:16:55 EDT 2006

On Friday 28 July 2006 11:42, info at 1stopsolutions.net wrote:

>  Mine goal is to
> become a Houdini Effects TD. The two main ideas I have are to do several
> complex effects shots or to complete a 1.5 min short that I have been
> wanting to do for a long time.

	I would agree with Peter - whether you like it or not, the short ends up
getting judged on multiple levels, like creative, writing, direction...none
of which are related to what your employment goal is.  You might have some
awesome FX in there, but if the story isn't someone's cup of tea, they'll
still have a sour taste in their mouth, especially after being asked to sit
through more than a minute.

	I'd stay focused, eye on the prize.  Doing the short is absolutely cool, do
it by all means, but it shouldn't be considered part of getting yourself a
job.  Hey, for all I know you might end up with an Oscar for best animated
short, but I've had to sit through a *lot* of "stories" on people's reels,
and the key to winning that scenario is to keep it short, short, short.  If
you end up winning Oscars, then you're going after the wrong job.  :)

	Shot breakdown is fine, again I'd keep it short.  Don't forget the people
watching the reel probably have already figured out how you did it, anyway.
I've seen this work when it's *not* just the whole shot played in it's
entirety, over and over, each one adding another layer.  Edit judiciously,
showing the key elements, focusing on anything clever, and adding layers
quickly.

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada