[Sidefx-houdini-list] Modeling lines from existing geometry

Dante Allegria danteallegria at yahoo.ca
Thu Jul 20 03:56:43 EDT 2006

--- Floyd Gillis <floyd at afcg.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to interactively build lines from an existing polygonal
> model
> by snapping from point to point.  I thought "curve" would be the
> function to use, but it doesn't see the existing data.  "Polyknit"
> functions exactly as I'd like, but it doesn't make lines.

Hmm ... seems to work on my simple case:
- Put down a Torus SOP from the viewer
- Put down a Curve SOP from the viewer
- Turn off the footprint (purple) flag on the torus and turn on its
template instead because I only want to snap to it and not pick from
it.
- Turn on snapping. Double-check the snapping options that I'm only
snapping to points and that Apply To: "Templates" is enabled.
- Click near an existing point on the torus. It seemed to snap ok.
- At first, I couldn't see the curve I was building (because I was
overlying exactly the same edges?). I had to switch to wireframe view
to see the curve.
- I also tried changing the template display option from wireframe to
something else to see the torus better. It would still snap to the
obscured points though.

dante