[Sidefx-houdini-list] RE: Computer Wall

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Mon Jul 17 10:14:40 EDT 2006

On Monday 17 July 2006 09:29, Doug Struthers wrote:
> 	-  Am I liable to have static, grounding, or radiation problems
> since it is not mounted or shielded by metal?

	Grounding is easy to solve, run a cable if you're nervous.  Your big, big
issue here will be heat.  I know a person who shall remain nameless :P that
had a brilliant idea to enclose his battery of Macs and hard drive arrays
inside a custom built wardrobe-sized casing with lots of custom fans to blow
away the heat.  It was an unmitigated disaster - noisy, ugly, and HOT.
However, to give him credit, when he closed that door, it was bloody
quiet.  :)

	Of course, leave it closed for long, it would power cycle down...:P

	Anyway, cooling is a critical function, and once you start losing the
long-designed typical computer case with a really good cooling unit(s) and
decide to roll your own, you might as well roll some dice as well.
Overcompensate, is all I can suggest.  Convection won't work for you.  You
need forced air, everywhere.

> 	-  I hope to use the on-board graphics for my work station.  Will I
> need to put a more robust graphics card in it?

	Yes, you will, and this will significantly drive the heat up.

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada