[Sidefx-houdini-list] RE: Computer Wall

Peter Robbinson probbins at corefa.com
Mon Jul 17 09:47:15 EDT 2006

You'll definitely need good grounding, radiation isn't a concern.

The biggest concern will be heat. I would seriously recommend isolating
the air supply to the cpu fans.
Using some type of tubing for supply. Having a large fan generally
blowing on the whole area isn't really going to do
much. I'd likely use the fan to keep your harddrives cool.

If you have the boards just seting out in the open there are a set of
cables you don't need, primarily those the feed the
lights on the box. Take advantage of the freedom and consider the best
orientation for the boards to keep all the cables going
in one direction and use cable wraps to contain them. I'm assuming
you're using SATA drives in which case the cables are quite small.

You could consider using some type of mindrive to carry your OS and usb
drives for storage. That would change your cabling significantly.

The biggest problem with the onboard graphics is that it uses your
motherboard ram, it doesn't have any of its own.
That's a huge disadvantage.

PeterR