[Sidefx-houdini-list] RE: Computer Wall

Doug Struthers dragonfly at dougstruthers.com
Mon Jul 17 09:29:08 EDT 2006

Hi

To reduce buzzing fans (and impress my art director clients) I am going to
attempt to build a computer wall so each motherboard,ps, disk sits on an L
bracket screwed onto the wall with the mb mounted vertically.  The cpu fans
will run and a 2nd large but quite fan will sit in front of the motherboard
and blow gently on it.

I am using the ASUS microATX Motherboard (M2NPV-VM) $99.00 and AMD 64 Athlon
X2 with 2gb ram.

I needed some advice:

	-  Am I liable to have static, grounding, or radiation problems
since it is not mounted or shielded by metal?
	-  Is the cooling going to be sufficient?  I am hoping the little
blower, very large distribution, and convection (up the wall) will cool it.
	-  Is anyone using this mb and proc?  I will put SUSE10.1 on it and
wondered if anyone has done that?

	-  I hope to use the on-board graphics for my work station.  Will I
need to put a more robust graphics card in it?

The downside will be the cabling and I hope to find a way to hide that.

Thanks

Doug

Doug Struthers

www.dougstruthers.com