[Sidefx-houdini-list] autorig

Dries dries at urga.be
Sat Jul 15 08:56:02 EDT 2006

I'm not a character animator, but playing around with the autorig, I was
wondering if there is something wrong with the arm rig.
In the animator rig, I noticed that the left arm and the right one are
different:
Right Arm/Arm/FK controls has:
    _Humerus_ Rotate 0 0 0
    Forearm Rotate 0
Left Arm/Arm/FK controls has:
    _Upperarm_ Rotate 0 0 0
    Forearm Rotate 0

As I check it again now, this just seems like a labeling issue (they
refer to the correct channels). It has probably something to do with
choosing 'Ulna and Radius' setup or not, whatever that means. Can
somebody shine a light?

In relation to the rig for the arm, I was wondering whether the lack of
a box handle is deliberate (by convention, box seems to allow
translations, sphere allows rotations). I would expect a box handle near
the elbow if you choose to stick to the default Forward Kinematics for
the arm.

Other than these initial confusions, I think this autorig is great and
actually pretty self explanatory. FK/IK blending well implemented and
even though character animation is not my big thing, it's great to
impress people who claim they use unbeaten software for their rigs :-).

Anyone who can shine a light on why the rig is what it is, especially
the arm piece, is most welcome .

Thanks.

Dries Desmet.