[Sidefx-houdini-list] RE: Side Effects software crashes X windows on SUSE 10.1

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Thu Jul 6 09:51:32 EDT 2006

On Thursday 06 July 2006 09:41, Louis wrote:
> We're getting this problem with Nvidia:
> - GeForce 6600 GT/PCI/SSE2 256M
> - 2.0.2 NVIDIA 87.56
> - GLX 1.4
> - 3200x1200 rez @24bit

	Huh.  Well, certainly this XGL business needs to be left out of the loop - as
described here:

http://en.opensuse.org/Using_Xgl_on_SUSE_Linux

	it's still 'rough around the edges'.  This article claims you can definitely
disable it on all levels - 2 or 3D.  See the troubleshooting page.

	Weirdness.  Certainly has me happy staying at 10.0 - but I'm very curious
about this - if it happens *across* vendors, and apparently on two distro
versions - well, that's just weird.  :/  Can't imagine what sort of call SESI
is doing on such a basic level that could trigger a major graphics bug across
platforms like this!  Needs more investigation, obviously.  Anyone getting
this problem with KDE?  Gnome appears to be a common part of the equation.

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada