[Sidefx-houdini-list] RE: Side Effects software crashes X windows on SUSE 10.1

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Thu Jul 6 09:36:57 EDT 2006

On Thursday 06 July 2006 09:26, Calin Casian wrote:
> Well I think in SUSE 10.2 the X server is based on the new XGL so even if
> you don't enable 3d Effects you still run the XGL core in 2d.
> I tried on my laptop which has a ATI FIRE GL 5200 card so I can't tell
> anything about NVIDIA.

	ATI + Linux = bad.  Their drivers still suck.  I'm curious if anyone
reporting this is running nvidia.  Also - you do install the ATI drivers,
right?  AFAIK, they "taint" the kernel the same way NVidia does - but you
really need to run them if you want to get the value out of the card.  I
honestly don't know for sure, but unless the vendor drivers support XGL
directly, I'm guessing you're not running XGL.

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada