[Sidefx-houdini-list] RE: Side Effects software crashes X windows on SUSE 10.1

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Thu Jul 6 09:12:58 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 05 July 2006 18:47, Doug Struthers wrote:
> Hello
>    We've installed openSUSE 10.1 on 3 machines, along with the Houdini
> 8.1.613. With one exception, all of the other computers we have are running
> 8.0.xxx, but I don't believe this to be related to the problem because the
> other 8.1.613 machine that we are using (running Ubuntu 5.10) is perfectly
> stable. On the affected computers, mantra works fine, and renders without a
> problem; however, any Side Effects software that runs in a window causes
> GNOME and X windows to crash to command line whenever a dialog box is
> opened and then closed.

	Odd one.  We've run every SUSE from 9.1 to 10.0 without anything like this,
but haven't made the jump to 10.1 yet, thought we'd hold off for the second
point release.  What video card and driver are you using?  That's probably
the most relevant information.  Getting the entire desktop to crash is pretty
serious, and points directly to the graphics driver(regardless of the fact
that SESI software may be triggering it).

	It's reasonably safe to say that whatever's happening on Windows isn't
particularly related, unless it's something fundamentally busted in the
graphics drivers that's been carried across the platforms - pretty rare.  You
aren't using ATI, are you?

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada