[Sidefx-houdini-list] RE: Side Effects software crashes X

louis at realisestudio.com louis at realisestudio.com
Thu Jul 6 02:41:17 EDT 2006

Cool, I'm so glad you posted that Calin!

As you may know SUSE 10.2 has been a real nightmare for us for the same
reasons. Opening an Mplay window with an image larger than the screen
resoloution would send X to nearly 100% of the cpu or just plain crash the
machine. Opening and closing Houdini windows is a bit like playing russian
roulette right now. Other apps haven't given this problem. We also use
dual monitors but use twinview which doesn't create extra overhead.

On a bad day your machine would have to be rebooted 10 times!

Cheers
Louis

> I just installed SUSE 10.2 and have the same problem. I believe the
> issue is due to the new XGL extensions. I enabled XGL and Houdini
> won't even start (it says that I don't have GLX extension, I was told
> that the link to the GL library might be broken or is pointing to a
> wrong one) but when I disabled the XGL Houdini starts but X crashes
> after a short while.
>
> calin
>
> On 5-Jul-06, at 9:17 PM, jrutherford at stclaircollege.ca wrote:
>
>> I'm running the Apprentice version with Suse 9.3 and it's quite stable
>> Jim
>>

>>> Hello
>>>    We've installed openSUSE 10.1 on 3 machines, along with the
>>> Houdini
>>> 8.1.613. With one exception, all of the other computers we have are
>>> running
>>> 8.0.xxx, but I don't believe this to be related to the problem
>>> because the
>>> other 8.1.613 machine that we are using (running Ubuntu 5.10) is
>>> perfectly
>>> stable. On the affected computers, mantra works fine, and renders
>>> without
>>> problem; however, any Side Effects software that runs in a window
>>> causes
>>> GNOME and X windows to crash to command line whenever a dialog box is
>>> opened
>>> and then closed.
>>>
>>>    The problem has been observed using liscense administrator,
>>> Houdini
>>> Master and the mplay image viewer. The dialogs that crashed the
>>> system
>>> were
>>> change liscense server when using hkey, the open file dialog with
>>> mplay,
>>> which is opened when the program is started and the open file
>>> dialog in
>>> Houdini Master. Also interesting is the fact that all of these
>>> programs
>>> work
>>> fine unless a dialog is opened, then closed. If mplay is run by
>>> mantra,
>>> with
>>> the image file automatically being selected, the image displays
>>> with no
>>> problems and mutliple frames in a series can be viewed. In Houdini
>>> Master,
>>> we can do anything that doesn't involve a dialog box, and context
>>> menus
>>> present no problem.
>>>
>>>    There are no signs of this issue on the 2 machines we have running
>>> Ubuntu
>>> 5.10, but we need to move away from that because of several