[Sidefx-houdini-list] RE: Side Effects software crashes X windows on SUSE 10.1

Doug Struthers dragonfly at dougstruthers.com
Wed Jul 5 18:47:16 EDT 2006

Hello
   We've installed openSUSE 10.1 on 3 machines, along with the Houdini
8.1.613. With one exception, all of the other computers we have are running
8.0.xxx, but I don't believe this to be related to the problem because the
other 8.1.613 machine that we are using (running Ubuntu 5.10) is perfectly
stable. On the affected computers, mantra works fine, and renders without a
problem; however, any Side Effects software that runs in a window causes
GNOME and X windows to crash to command line whenever a dialog box is opened
and then closed.

   The problem has been observed using liscense administrator, Houdini
Master and the mplay image viewer. The dialogs that crashed the system were
change liscense server when using hkey, the open file dialog with mplay,
which is opened when the program is started and the open file dialog in
Houdini Master. Also interesting is the fact that all of these programs work
fine unless a dialog is opened, then closed. If mplay is run by mantra, with
the image file automatically being selected, the image displays with no
problems and mutliple frames in a series can be viewed. In Houdini Master,
we can do anything that doesn't involve a dialog box, and context menus
present no problem.

   There are no signs of this issue on the 2 machines we have running Ubuntu
5.10, but we need to move away from that because of several persistent
problems we've been having with that OS.

We are also encountering a similar problem on a windows XP  machines that we
use as a render node. Windowed Side Effects software causes the computer to
freeze and be completely unresponsive to any form of input once a window is
moved or a menu is opened.

On all affected systems, the system appears to be completely stable under
all circumstances, unless running Side Effects software.

Any suggestions appreciated

Aaron

Doug Struthers

www.dougstruthers.com