[Sidefx-houdini-list] Subdivision surfaces and normal raster

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Fri Jan 20 13:24:42 EST 2006

On Friday 20 January 2006 12:50, Sean Lewkiw wrote:
>  From the "new features" part in the help:
>
> There is a "null:" tile device for mantra. When you set the output
> filename to "null:", the renderer doesn't save an image, though the
> render will proceed as usual. This is useful when the render generates
> extra files (like deep rasters).

	Hmm, I'm not sure this will work.  Once you set the output filename to null:,
nothing is rendered that is defined in the ROP.  I think the reason is that
your DR could conceivably be embedded in the primary image(if it's .pic
format) or in a separate file.  All null is useful for(and it is nice) is for
shadow/reflection maps.

	I couldn't find that new features entry, and in the latest version, search
seems to find far, far fewer results than before it was changed.  Any
thoughts why?  Seemed to be connected to when the interactive search was
taken out.

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada