[Sidefx-houdini-list] Companies using Houdini in Shanghai or Beijing ??

Dave Nunez nunezd at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 21:43:06 EST 2006

Thanks for all the info Xiao, really appreciate it.  I sort of
understand how things are overthere now.  I know Animal Logic gets
alot of work from mainland China so thats why I was wondering the
current state of the vfx industry overthere.  Can you give me (and
whoever else interested on the list) the names of the two studios that
you mentioned earlier.  In terms of teaching, do you know of any
schools that need instructors.  I have talked to some people in the
industry both here and abroad, who are also very interested in heading
to overseas to mainland China.

Many thanks,

Dave

On 1/19/06, zhang xiao <zhangxiao6776 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Ammon:
>      Did you see Promise yet? I don't know how western audiance respond to
> the film, but in china,
> people seems didn't appreciate the director's ambition and effort, maybe
> it's because of the
> story. Same thing happend to Ang Lee's <<crouching tiger hidden dragon>> and
> Zhang Yimou's
> wu xiang epic films, although they all did pretty good on box office. It's a
> good sign to see these
> big budget films come out from mainland china anyway, however we still have
> a lot to catch up
> in every aspects of film making, including VFX, the thing happened to
> <<PROMISE>> is, they didn't
> have careful plan for the effects, so the schedule was pretty much f*** up
> at the end. But they are
> learning. The VFX was done by HONGKONG studio-central, the same studio who
> did vfx for
> <<shaolin soccer>> and <<kongfu hustle>>.
> xiao
>
> On 1/19/06, Ammon Riley <ammon at rhythm.com> wrote:
> >
> > Ammon Riley wrote:
> > > Given that the Western world is sending stuff out to Asia, India, etc
> > > because it's cheaper than doing the work in North America, I highly
> > > doubt that any work is flowing the other direction. Nor, I think, will
> > > that ever happen until the productions can withstand million (and more)
> > > dollar VFX budgets, either.
> >
> > Stupid me. I shouldn't put my foot in my mouth.
> >
> > a) http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4531314.stm
> >
> > and
> >
> > b) http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0299977/fullcredits
> >
> > I knew there was a reason I didn't go into prognostication. :-p
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Ammon
> >
> > --
> >   Ammon Riley || Pipeline Setup || Rhythm & Hues || LA, CA ||
> > ammon at rhythm.com

When things get too complicated, it sometimes makes sense to stop and
wonder: Have I asked the right question?
-Enrico Bombieri