[Sidefx-houdini-list] New Lighting Tutorial at www.sidefx.com

Peter Bowmar pbowmar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 12:41:31 EST 2006

I would agree with Ken, the "one object" model doesn't really work in
production. However, there is a new feature in H8 that lets you "split"
an object based on groups, which holds some promise, so you could have a
single object hold all the geometry, but still have multiple  Houdini
Objects so you can do shading etc. seperately.

I haven't used it extensively though, so I'm not sure if it will break
smoothing and stuff like that.

Also, in the real world, models are often 100,000 polys or more, and
recooking even a single Shader SOP sucks up too much time and memory, so
almost always you want to dump the .bgeo (or .rib) and use Render From File.

Cheers,

Peter B