[Sidefx-houdini-list] New Lighting Tutorial at www.sidefx.com

Jean-Claude Nouchy jclaude at mimgfx.com
Wed Jan 18 10:55:43 EST 2006

Robert Magee wrote:
> The artist, Lisa Kelly who worked on this project (and wrote the
> tutorial) built the models with a clear idea of how she was going to
> texture it. In her modeling network, she created groups of primitives
> that would get shaded together. Then she would export the model to a
> .bgeo file which would include group info. Once the model was imported
> into the layout scene she could then add a Shader SOP for each group she
> had created then set the "Group" parameter to the appropriate group name.
>
> The advantage of this approach is that you don't need to break up a
> model to apply different shaders. Of course that is an option but it is
> not necessary. It is nice in Houdini that a single object can contain
> several merged pieces of geometry. It keeps the object level a little
> less cluttered. Generally I only break up a model when I need a separate
> piece to move on its own (lenses, knobs etc....) in case I want to
> animate it.
>
> Robert

Sorry Robert, but i still dont see the point about using many shader
OP.. io just one..

I modelled an entire classrom with chairs, tables, and of course the room.

the furnitures where "grouped" by items (legs, planes, woods, metals
parts) considering the type of shaders they will host... then i applied
a single shader OP by choosing the groups and applying the shader.

in the Liza scene i see that, ok the objects are separated (they were
obviosuly) and now contains many groups (for the object parts and
shading parts).. but i still dont see why using many Shader nodes over
using just one :)..

sorry that was just a simple consideration but my english sucks and I
might be misunderstood..  I'm trying to understand and i was just trying
to understand the difference between on and more shaders SOP.

thanks for the feebback tought.

--
:: jean-claude
:: mimgfx dot com