[Sidefx-houdini-list] New Lighting Tutorial at www.sidefx.com

Robert Magee rmagee at sidefx.com
Wed Jan 18 09:58:15 EST 2006

The artist, Lisa Kelly who worked on this project (and wrote the
tutorial) built the models with a clear idea of how she was going to
texture it. In her modeling network, she created groups of primitives
that would get shaded together. Then she would export the model to a
.bgeo file which would include group info. Once the model was imported
into the layout scene she could then add a Shader SOP for each group she
had created then set the "Group" parameter to the appropriate group name.

The advantage of this approach is that you don't need to break up a
model to apply different shaders. Of course that is an option but it is
not necessary. It is nice in Houdini that a single object can contain
several merged pieces of geometry. It keeps the object level a little
less cluttered. Generally I only break up a model when I need a separate
piece to move on its own (lenses, knobs etc....) in case I want to
animate it.

Robert