[Sidefx-houdini-list] A Second Houdini Book

Craig Zerouni craig at sidefx.com
Tue Jan 17 14:56:19 EST 2006

I sent this to the list a week ago, but it looks like it never showed
up. So here's my second attempt, for those who don't frequent the
Houdini Forum. And thanks to all those Forum readers who have sent ideas
already...

Houdini Fans -

When it rains, it pours.

I have a agreement to produce a Houdini book, to be published later this
year. This will be very different from Will Cunningham's book. Mine is
meant to be a kind of "Houdini Hacks", a compilation of (possibly)
obscure but useful techniques for wringing the most out of Houdini. The
target audience is not beginners, but intermediate-to-advanced Houdini
users.

To make this clearer, I have posted on the Forum a short chapter sample
that the publishers saw - look here
 http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=5158

The reason I am telling you this is that I am looking for help from the
Houdini community. Houdini being what it is, it's just not possible for
one person to know everything about everything, especially if that
person is me. So I'm looking to collect useful tips from users on any
Houdini subject - modeling, particles, dynamics, shaders, scripting,
rendering, whatever. These should be simple idiomatic uses of individual
houdini features, not 200-node extravaganzas.

In exchange for your help, I can make this stupendous offer: if I use
something you contribute, I will include your name and brief bio in the
contributor's section (see the O'Reilly /Linux Hacks/ book as an example
of this), and you will get a copy of the book.

To save clutter, feel free to respond to me directly: craig at sidefx.com
either with tips or just with questions.

Thanks very much!

CZ