[Sidefx-houdini-list] New Lighting Tutorial at www.sidefx.com

Jean-Claude Nouchy jclaude at mimgfx.com
Tue Jan 17 11:38:56 EST 2006

Robert Magee wrote:
> Good question. The models have all been designed to render as
> subdivision surface models. The option for this is found on the Render
> tab of each object. The object nodes can be found inside the digital
> asset subnetworks. By setting the "Geometry" parameter to "Polygons as
> Subdivision Surfaces" the low resolution model is subdivided by the
> renderer at a micropolygon level. This means that you don't have to
> tesselate the model or worry about breaking it down because it will be
> smooth no matter how close you get to it.
>
> This is better than using a subdivide SOP which just tesselates the
> model into smaller polygons. Often I will use a subdivide SOP to preview
> the subdivide then set the render flag on the low res geometry and use
> the object level setting to get the best quality results.
>
> Robert

Thanks a lot Robert.. wow now that's cool..
ok.. I have another question then.. about takes...

I'm playing around with take from which i'm "including in take" some
parameters like sufaces colors.. and so on.. but on some shaders (like
the "filmcan6" (by CTRL+LMB click) ).. when i try to include the Diffuse
color (which in this case is a sort of blue) instead of giving me free
sliders to choose color it links such channels to
ch("../../vmetal1_diffr") (and blue and green) .. while on the table
this doesnt happens).

and related to this.. where ch("../../vmetal1_diffr") points at? i dont
see any "vmetal1" vex shaders actually from the SOP network .. but i
might be confused and looked at wrong place.. dunno.

Hope i've been clear enought.. my english sucks sometimes :)

and at last.. I dont get why if I change the reflection color (of same
materials for examples but on the table as well) this dont makes any
changes... i tried a bright red but i see no reflections...

cheers and thanks a lot for the fast support.

--
:: jean-claude
:: mimgfx dot com

believed to be clean.