[Sidefx-houdini-list] New Lighting Tutorial at www.sidefx.com

Robert Magee rmagee at sidefx.com
Tue Jan 17 10:43:44 EST 2006

Good question. The models have all been designed to render as
subdivision surface models. The option for this is found on the Render
tab of each object. The object nodes can be found inside the digital
asset subnetworks. By setting the "Geometry" parameter to "Polygons as
Subdivision Surfaces" the low resolution model is subdivided by the
renderer at a micropolygon level. This means that you don't have to
tesselate the model or worry about breaking it down because it will be
smooth no matter how close you get to it.

This is better than using a subdivide SOP which just tesselates the
model into smaller polygons. Often I will use a subdivide SOP to preview
the subdivide then set the render flag on the low res geometry and use
the object level setting to get the best quality results.

Robert