[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini skills in Resume?

CraigLeeHoffman at aol.com CraigLeeHoffman at aol.com
Mon Jan 16 11:37:17 EST 2006

I agree that Houdini isn't very hard to learn compared to all the nested
menus/options and hotkeys and scripting needed to learn to become proficient with
Maya, but we are fighting against a prejudice that many folks in the industry
have had from when they last checked Houdini out around Houdini 2.5.  I
currently work with some former Animators from CORE who are now back working in Maya
and they ALL said they prefer Houdini.

That being said, there are far more jobs for Maya users.  Why?  Maya sold
itself well by getting it in colleges and lowering the price and getting a lot of
training material out there several years ago.  They convinced everyone that
it was the best 3D package out there and they tend to support (or are
supported by vendors for) many new standards for model/animation format exchange or
things like real time rendering whereas Houdini tends to stick it out on their
own.  Maya arguably was best for character work for a while, but Houdini has
grown and passed it by in my opinion and is a far more well rounded package-
much better suited for a whole production pipeline.

But Houdini is so expensive that many houses won't even look at it (even if
it does save time and money by doing things more efficiently and not needing to
hire programming TA's for all your MEL tools).   And most management doesn't
understand these issues enough to get past the Status Quo that keeps Maya on
top.

Having it on your resume will help if you are trying to break into the
Effects world at the better houses that use it, but if you are trying to break into
games or character animation you will probably run into people who have never
heard of Houdini before.  When people ask me what Houdini is I just reply "It
is like Maya on steroids with Shake and Renderman rolled in".

With Houdini on your reel (if it is quality stuff) you have a much better
chance at getting an entry level slot at a high end studio like DD, R&H, Sony,
CORE, etc.  If you just have Maya FX on your reel, you are more likely to have
to stand in a huge line of people just like you and have to compete for slots
at lesser studios.  Of course it really depends on the reel, but high end
studios with Houdini slots open find those positions hard to fill and with decent
Houdini skills you might be able to get in the door without a lot of
experience, which usually isn't the case at most high end places.

After "The Wild" comes out from CORE and the new Houdini book starts getting
seen and all the former CORE animators flood back into the other houses and
say how great Houdini is, I think we will see more people using it, but there is
still a long way to go.

Also, look at the Houdini job board and pay attention to jobs posted on this
list or the Side Effects forums- a lot of Houdini jobs are filled through this
networking than on sites like HighEnd3D.

-Craig Hoffman