[Sidefx-houdini-list] DOPs features

Mark Tucker mtucker at sidefx.com
Sat Jan 14 19:46:24 EST 2006

Is it cheating if I contribute? A few more points, with sample files
from the RBD Solver help card. Some of these may not be considered
precisely features of "RBD" within Houdini, but of the dynamics
architecture as a whole.

1. Houdini's RBD works with deforming geometry. See the Deforming RBD
sample file.

2. The breaking apart of pre-fractured/glued object can be either
automatic based on impacts, or choreographed based on keyframing or
other features/events in the simulation (your list only mentions the
automatic breaking shown in the Breaking Rock sample). See the
Choreographed Breakup sample for a more procedural approach.

3. Ability to interact with other solvers (cloth, POPs, etc). See the
Cloth Rbd Interaction and Match Shape samples.

4. Ability to control a simulation in a procedural way based on
expressions and information from the simulation. See the Freeze sample.

5. RBD can be augmented with additional DOPs solvers to achieve a
variety of more complex effects. See the Denting With POPs example,
which also demonstrates point 3 (and 4 in a way as well).

6. Integration with the rest of Houdini allows RBD results to be applied
procedurally to control other parts of an animation. The Proxy Geometry
sample shows this in its simplest form where the RBD motion is applied
to different objects than the ones used in the actual simulation.

7. Fantasticaly friendly and responsive Side Effects support and
development staff :)

Mark