[Sidefx-houdini-list] houdini crashes...

Andrew D Lyons tstexture at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 21:15:19 EST 2006

I've had maybe half a dozen crashes from Houdini in the last three years
using Houdini under Linux in large L.A. houses. At the last big studio I
worked at in Venice they used Red Hat 7.3 until within the last year, and
made the change to a more recent Linux version slowly and carefully. Where I
am now we just installed Houdini v8 on machines configured for Maya and
proprietary tools - and it just worked fine straight off the bat with no RH4
ES or graphics card tweaks needed and no crashes. It seems to me that the
modus operandi here is to upgrade linux distro's rarely, slowly and
carefully.

On a related front - someone just posted this on an internal list:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/ptech/01/10/apple.macworld.reut/index.html

Rumor has it there'll be multiple Linux distro's available for these Intel
based Mac machines within weeks of their release, and with the static
hardware configuration you'd think that they'll be pretty easy to install,
and easy for companies like sidefx to develop for.

Cheers