[Sidefx-houdini-list] houdini crashes...

Mark Alexander malexander at sidefx.com
Tue Jan 10 11:02:52 EST 2006

> The only common demoninator is that we're using non quadro cards - but is that really going to alter the stability that much?

I wouldn't think so. I don't think Nvidia even creates separate drivers
for Quadro and GEForce cards on Linux - at least choosing Graphics
Driver / Quadro or GEForce / Linux IA32 gives me the same link on the
Nvidia driver site. There are some hardware differences between the
GEForce and the Quadro cards, but this doesn't seem to be the culprit
(as my QuadroFX card also exhibits the problem).

The information from users I have so far seems to indicate that a Linux
/ AMD / Nvidia combo may be part of the X freezing issue. So, does
anyone out there experience this problem:

- with a Pentium CPU? or,
- with a PCI-Express card?

I am currently testing the 8178 drivers with an AMD / Linux / QuadroFX
AGP card by continually running:

mplay Mandril.pic ; sleep 4 ; killall -2 mplay

in a loop. From previous experience, it should lockup after 50 or so
iterations (I've never actually counted). This doesn't use a fragment
shader at all, but does use a 256x256 RGB texture to display the image.

> Also, sesi could help by recommending a hardware setup that works(tm).  (and isn't three years old).

I will certainly try to recommend a hardware setup once I determine if
it is indeed a hardware issue. If it is a driver issue, hopefully Nvidia
will fix it or we can find a workaround (again). If it is a software
issue, hopefully we can fix it :)

For now, try Peter B's suggestion of disabling Fragment Shaders. I would
have thought that using well-supported and optimized textured mapped
quads instead of the old, poorly supported 2D pixel pipeline would have
improved stability for mplay, but I suppose that would have made my work
too easy.

Cheers,
M.