[Sidefx-houdini-list] OT: What compositor do you use if not COPS? (was: houdini crashes...)

Dries dries at urga.be
Tue Jan 10 05:55:22 EST 2006

John Coldrick wrote:

>	Ah, compositing...I love being a frustrated compositor...:)
>
>	It's Sunday, waiting for clients...time to ramble...:P
>
>On Friday 06 January 2006 12:43, Peter Robbinson wrote:
>

>>If I finally get a linux version of Fusion then Windows could pretty
>>much be ditched. Alternatively if Cops ever gets updated then ...
>>

>	Personally, I've stopped holding my breath for Fusion.  They announced a
>Linux version the previous major release, and it never showed.  Now they're
>talking about a new one...sometime.  That sort of stuff *really* rubs me the
>wrong way - I simply have no faith in them.  When I see a full-featured,
>reasonably stable product on Linux I'll take a look, but not before.  It's
>fine to have a package popular with Windows users and to toss off comments
>about a Linux port - but "Show Me the Compie"!  :)

Ref to my post on linux and what I was expecting from it. Linux is not
getting the push it deserves unfortunately.

>	Tracking:  None in Houdini, an "ok" implementation in Shake(I'm spoiled with
>excellent tracking via 3DEqualizer and Discreet).
>	Paint: None in Houdini, a fairly good procedural Paint node in Shake.
>	Colour Correct: "so-so" in Houdini, quite nice in Shake.
>	Keying:  "so-so" in Houdini, quite nice in Shake.
>	Memory Management:  So-so in Houdini, with too much user intervention IMHO,
>absolutely rock-solid, hands-off, fan-frickin-tastic in Shake.(this assumes
>plenty of memory for both systems).
>	Plugin support/"looks": Vex in Houdini(roll yer own), pretty good in
>Shake(both third party and roll yer own).
>	Integration:  Excellent in Houdini, none apart from file formats in Shake.
>	Interface:  I prefer Houdini for the most part.  I think their node-based GUI
>is the best in the biz.  I do love that little shake feature where "shaking"
>a node disconnects it, though.  :P
>	Hooks:  Excellent in Houdini(duh), pretty good in Shake.
>	Speed:  Here's where I differ from other comments - for the most part I find
>Shake faster.  It's *very* anecdotal and positively not scientific, but in v4
>I find it pretty damned fast.  This seems to apply more when working with HD
>and up, and more than 8 bit.
>	Stability:  Variable on Houdini, rock-solid on Shake.  I'll caveat that with
>the relevant fact that I only ever use the official release of Shake -
>Houdini we snag daily builds.

I totally agree with this short review of Shake vs Halo. It does point
out however, if you're a small shop, you have to revert to additional
compositing software because no plug-in support, no effective blue
keying, no tracking, no paint tools are quite show stoppers. Halo does
have a lot going for it, but just for now, I consider cops only for
preview compositing. Although Houdini is the best ever in 3D, it's not a
"complete solution" as some people who hear about it might start
believing. Conclusion: there is a real-world potential for Halo.
Excellent coders that reach SESI's standards might be hard to find, and
I know sesi doesn't lack willingness. I wish them the best for the
coming year.

D.