[Sidefx-houdini-list] houdini crashes...

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Mon Jan 9 14:04:44 EST 2006

On Monday 09 January 2006 13:46, Joe Drew wrote:
> Mark Alexander wrote:
> > I would recommend turning off Fragment Shaders if you experience this
> > problem, and you'll likely have fewer lockups. But I still experience
> > lockups, though less frequently, with them off. My system is a QuadroFX
> > 1000, Debian Linux 2.6.11, Nv drivers 7174 (yes, a tad behind the times,
> > due to the difficult in installing new NV drivers on Debian).
>
> Have you seen module-assistant? I guess it's only any good if your apt
> repositories have the new version of the driver in it, but it's made
> installing new nvidia drivers a real snap for me.

	http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-8178.html

	"Fixed installation problems on newer Debian systems."

	Maybe?

	Drivers are behind *so* many problems.  To be fair, in my glowing talk of
stable Shake, I should have mentioned it was a completely useless tool until
I snagged the latest and greatest drivers from NVidia.  Was constantly
locking up.  What makes things unfair is that this is usually blamed on the
application...so I know Houdini must get it's share of unfair
finger-pointing.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada