[Sidefx-houdini-list] houdini crashes...

Mark Alexander malexander at sidefx.com
Mon Jan 9 13:31:05 EST 2006

I have been attempting to determine why mplay has been freezing X on
exit for several months now. Unfortunately, it leaves no core dump, no
messages in /var/log (even in XFree86.log) and halts my machine so I
can't remotely debug the mplay session to see what state it's in. I've
made a series of changes to mplay based on theoretical guesses as to the
cause, but so far, no luck. My only real conclusion is that the graphics
driver is crashing in kernel space when cleaning up the session.

mplay on Windows, on the other hand, has none of these problems, and
neither does hhalo under Linux, which uses the exact same viewer and
graphics engine.

I would recommend turning off Fragment Shaders if you experience this
problem, and you'll likely have fewer lockups. But I still experience
lockups, though less frequently, with them off. My system is a QuadroFX
1000, Debian Linux 2.6.11, Nv drivers 7174 (yes, a tad behind the times,
due to the difficult in installing new NV drivers on Debian).

If anyone else has experienced the same thing, please send me your
graphics details (card & driver) and OS details (distrib + kernel
version). (I already have yours, Peter B). Any help would be greatly
appreciated - I don't like my machine locking up either :)

Thanks,
M.