[Sidefx-houdini-list] OT: What compositor do you use if not COPS? (was: houdini crashes...)

Peter Robbinson probbins at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 8 16:26:00 EST 2006

Not so much price, although rigging the linux version pricing did piss
me off, but then that's business.

No, it's more the added complexity to a pipeline that I find
unnecessary. Using Shake means linux, mac and windows here (CORE).

Personally I prefer the Fusion interface and I think I can build more
efficient workflows with it rather than Shake. Hands down I would prefer
to stick
with Halo, I really like having the compositor that tight with the 3d
side. But we need a tracker and paint tools with our work, so that means
some other package.
We also use Combustion, the guys here prefer the paint tools in it. No
accounting for taste...

PeterR

Dries wrote:

> Peter Robbinson wrote:
>
>> I'm real pleased with Ubuntu. Updating is very smooth and no issues
>> so far with Houdini or other tools.
>> Stay away from Kbuntu, it's a kde version. Not sure why the bother,
>> you can have kde running in ubuntu. Anyways, kbuntu is not nearly as
>> well put together, it's a different
>> team doing it.
>>
>> If I finally get a linux version of Fusion then Windows could pretty
>> much be ditched. Alternatively if Cops ever gets updated then ...
>>
>> PeterR
>>
> Sorry to derive here, but as J.C. was stating: small shops have it
> harder to get a solution for every step in the proces. The fact that
> Shake is available for OS X was a big push for me towards Mac.I
> thought about Fusion for compositing, but finally, because I decided
> for Final Cul Pro, I  thought of using Shake and using my 3D linux
> render nodes to render Shake under linux as well... I used to love it,
> but I still don't know where Apple is heading with it, and Fusion
> seems to have caught up.
>
>> From what I have seen, it had some more default text effects available
>
> which come in very handy for quick and dirty titles. There is nuke
> under linux but that is terribly expensive... (non-procedural
> compositing I'm not even considering).
>
> So why didn't you go Shake, Peter? Pricing?
>
> D.

"everything is co-incident"