[Sidefx-houdini-list] OT: What compositor do you use if not COPS? (was: houdini crashes...)

Rick Walia rickw at the-mill.com
Sun Jan 8 10:55:47 EST 2006

Quoting Dan Seddon <dan.seddon at framestore-cfc.com>:

> Do you really like shake??
>
> I find shake very slow - I remember Fusion was slicker a few years ago
> and am guessing it is now and Nuke has a fairly good reputation. I spend
> much of my time being fustrated with how slow shake is, in fact so do
> most compositors I speak to - there's few packages where the main uses
> don't even seem to be fans. Actually, after reading Jeds post,  I did
> try thrashing Cops around and (alas..) did get it to crash as quickly as
> Jed seems to be : ( Though, before that - it's speed was a welcome
> change from Shake. Which does make me wonder why Sidefx don't make that
> final push with Cops and get "Halo" running as a more finished package -
> fixing the current bugs must be possible if I managed to reproduce them
> in a few minutes (my sympathy does go out to Jed), after which just
> adding a tracker and few other missing bits...? But, that shake ever
> became the standard baffles me!

It's funny because I have the opposite experience with shake. I find is pretty
fast but not very flexible. I find COPs pretty slow but very flexible. I guess
that's the price to pay for flexibility?

I really wish there was more work done to COPs in terms of performance. It's
just a hell of a lot easier to do my comps in halo before I send it off to the
flame guys especially when render to deep raster providing it doesn't crash or
take too long to cook.

I would welcome a tracker but it's not high on my "gotta have" list.

The stability and performance of halo is a problem for me right now especially
when I have to turn out comps for early the next morning and I just keep seg
faulting ;) I'd be the first to say this could be a hardware/driver problem on
my end but I have tried it on various systems with different hardware/drivers
with the same result.

Here's wishing for cops enhancement in houdini 9!

/Rick