[Sidefx-houdini-list] Skin SOP Flipping

Rick Walia rickw at the-mill.com
Fri Jan 6 16:17:36 EST 2006

Hi guys,

I have an series of curves generated by using the extract function of the cookie
sop. I have an object passing through a grid and am extracting the profile at the
intersection. The other curves are a series of peaks from the 2 objects. All the
curves have different point counts as the object that passes through the grid is
deforming.

I need to skin all these curves but I'm finding that in certain frames the mesh
generated from the skin flips for some reason. I'm not quite sure what's happening
here.

I suspect that the mesh generated from the skin is flipping because the point
order is changing as my object passes through the grid.

I was wondering if there's a way to set the 0 position on all the curves to be the
same on the Y plane? In maya I would cut all the curves with an interesection with
a line. All the curves then would have their 0 point position be the same plane.
I can then rebuild all the curves and loft them.

I looked at the curvesect sop but it seems that I can only keep one side of the
curve. All I really need is to slice the curve so that all their 0 point starts in
the same place and flows in the same direction so that I can skin/loft it properly.

Rick Walia

The Mill NY