[Sidefx-houdini-list] houdini crashes...

Dries dries at urga.be
Fri Jan 6 11:13:56 EST 2006

John Coldrick wrote:

>On Friday 06 January 2006 08:29, Dries wrote:
>

>>Hi Paul and all,
>>
>>A rough number: houdini crashes on me at least 2 or 3 times a day.
>>

>	I'd consider that unacceptable.  Maybe 5-7 years ago, but not nowadays.
>About all I can suggest is that if you get a higher end graphics card(like
>the FX series), then you'll have zip problems(rather late for that now, of
>course, but perhaps the future).  That's what we're running here.  I'll be
>honest, I've completely lost track of the Nvidia series cards, they've
>splintered so much over the years I'm lost there.  All I do is buy
>workstation-level graphics cards, and it seems to be fine for us, running the
>same OS/release as you.

I'll consider it, as I do every time, but up till now I've always opted
for an extra render node. FYI, I'm trying Ubuntu for a change now.
OpenSuse's ftp repositories are driving me crazy. 5 cd's download to
upgrade but actually you have to reinstall? No, not nice.
Obviously I shouldn't try to keep my production machine so 'on the edge'
of course. But here I do a lot of things by myself: 3D, comping,
editing, authoring the DVD,... You can do this with a linux, but hell,
you'll be tweaking into infinity.

>>A guarantee crash for me is when clicking th cross to fetch a texmap and
>>in the that browser window click on the eye icon to load it up in mplay
>>first. Always when I swith to my cops desktop, I hit save first. You
>>know, I'd rather not do that.
>>

>	Absolutely, and you shouldn't have to.  I just tested that to verify(SUSE
>10/64 bit Intel/FX3600 PCIe) and it works fine.  You running daily builds or
>the last official release?  I'm on 8.0.454.

Running 8.0.410 on amd dual core,

>>The mantra renderer hardly ever causes me problems though. So there must
>>still be issues with using linux as a workstation. Linux is the
>>preferred rendering platform, but athough I was such a linux
>>enthousiast, I've come to believe that that community thingy is just
>>never going to get me there.
>>

>	Well, the most common complaint I've heard is the opposite - lots of windows
>Houdini users seem to have more trouble than linux users, and they complain
>quite loudly about it.  Again, all it takes is a bad graphics card/driver
>combination to change one's opinion on this.  That's been the case with Linux
>for years, no question.

Well, I'm banning windows completely. I want progression, linux was a
step up but just in my opinion, there is a very good chance that Apple
is the next step up (in my situation, and mind you, only for as a
desktop machine).
In this regard it was important to me to have preview on a broadcast
video monitor. I surfed the net for months but no SDI i/o card is
supported in linux, other then far too expensive prof nvidia card. And
honestly, I don't really understand the nvidia strategy: the drivers for
their low-end cards still aren't doing that well under linux. So buy the
big expensive ones, we do support those drivers well?? I have felt left
behind for a year now. And isn't it very viable company policy to start
with what you can certainly afford and then move up? If I have that much
money to spend, why still not go for apple? The machine is not that
expensive compared to prices of those high-end cards. At least you'll
have the guarantee your hardware will work with apple, otherwise they
simply wouldn't make it available.
I was expecting a big push towards linux and an opportunity for the 3D
community to really commit and contribute. I now have to realise, after
a year, I still can't author my project on DVD, I don't have broadcast
preview, I don't have good editing software, I have to use the Limp and
if I'm lucky I can eject my cd.

You are all right of course: an allrounder guy should honestly, not use
Houdini. But it happens to be the package that adds meaning to 3D. I
would totally ditch 3D if Houdini wasn't out by now.

When is it finally all coming together?