[Sidefx-houdini-list] houdini crashes...

Peter Bowmar pbowmar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 08:47:53 EST 2006

I've found, on Linux, that Mplay and COPs are often the source of many
problems. I've spent quite a bit of time tuning the Mplay/COPs display
preferences. Specifically, turning off the Fragment shaders tends to
reduce image corruption. I have a thing now where after a little while
of Mplay being up, my entire Desktop goes nuts (like the horizontal
hold on an old TV went bad) and I have to close X and restart it.
Turning off Fragment shaders seems to have made this go away.

[system crash then restart]

Hah hah! As I was writing this, I typed glxinfo to find out what
driver I'm using and my machine froze solid! Houdini was not involved
:) It appears that either openSuSE 10 or Nvidia driver 8178 aren't
playing nicely. I'm going to back out to the previous Nvidia driver
and see what happens over the next week.

I find Houdini 8 to be reasonably reliable (eagerly awaiting 8.1 for
more stability of course) except for GL problems. Like I said, though,
tuning the Mplay/COPs display options will help!

Cheers,

Peter B