[Sidefx-houdini-list] houdini crashes...

Dries dries at urga.be
Fri Jan 6 08:29:40 EST 2006

Hi Paul and all,

A rough number: houdini crashes on me at least 2 or 3 times a day. I'm
using dual core athlon at the moment, but there is not much difference
with my dual opeteron system. Both have 2gig of Ram and nvidia 6800 and
run on Suse 10. 80 percent of those crashes I would say, have the
symptoms Dan desccribed when there is graphic driver issues. Sometimes
when I open a hip file the screen scrolls to black pretty slowly from
the bottom up. Reloading the hip file doesn't solve this. I have to make
a new hip file and copy the networks over.
A guarantee crash for me is when clicking th cross to fetch a texmap and
in the that browser window click on the eye icon to load it up in mplay
first. Always when I swith to my cops desktop, I hit save first. You
know, I'd rather not do that.
The mantra renderer hardly ever causes me problems though. So there must
still be issues with using linux as a workstation. Linux is the
preferred rendering platform, but athough I was such a linux
enthousiast, I've come to believe that that community thingy is just
never going to get me there. I've testrun other OpenGL software on linux
such as Maya, Shake and Piranha, and I have the feeling those packages
aren't rock solid under linux either. The os itself might have that
reputation and I know that nvidia doesn't release open source drivers,
but hey bottom line is: it's not working. I've recently bought a Quad G5
Mac. Ran shake on it right away, never a crash since. Maya, up till now
flawlessly. It's a lot of money for such a machine, with less Mhz, but
I'm really enjoying working on a computer again with this very cool and
snappy os. A few Mhz less on a desktop really doesn't matter. Too bad
Houdini isn't running on it. If I could, I would never run a desktop
manager on linux ever again. For networking, serving, administering,
it's a geek's walhalla, but for a creative??  (Although OS X server
looks magnificent as well) I sincerely hope sesi is jumping on board
when apple turns over to intel. Hey Expose.

D.