[Sidefx-houdini-list] houdini crashes...

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Thu Jan 5 13:47:08 EST 2006

On Thursday 05 January 2006 13:34, Dan Seddon wrote:
> I think it's got slightly less stable over the years as it's become more
> complex (something I think is understandable) - I reckon it peaked for
> it's stabilty in about version 3.0. But, I wouldn't say it suddenly
> become a lot less stable.

	I agree.  This is assuming no-one's talking about snagging the latest
build...oops Houdini crashes whenever I rub my head and pat my tummy.  Those
sort of bugs tend to get fixed day by day - interim newly introduced daily
build bugs.  Overall, though, I find Houdini crashes tend to be caused the
majority of the time with driver issues, also, as you mention, pushing mem,
especially with composite.

	I will say that being the piggie I am, i rarely run with less than two gigs,
typically with 4.  Combine that with a statement that I rarely, if ever, see
Houdini crashes, I think that says a lot for investing in plenty of memory.

> seem more stable. I find graphics card crashes tend to be distinctly
> different from other crashes - machine freezes, bombs out etc... Where's
> software bugs/memory failures result in segmentation faults.

	Dunno - for me it's been a long time since having a system freeze, but yup,
if it does happen a graphics driver is typically behind it.  :P

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada