[Sidefx-houdini-list] houdini crashes...

Paul Simpson paul at realisestudio.com
Thu Jan 5 13:01:18 EST 2006

Hi all,

Hope you have all recovered from the xmas/new year onslaught.

Quick straw poll:

- How many times does Houdini crash per day/week/month?
- Does anyone suspect mplay is causing instability?

I've found that we've been experiancing more stability problems in the
last year than in the previous five years put together.  I'm currently
at a loss why this could be as we're using the same hardware.  Things
that have changed are:
- moved from redhat 9 (rock solid) to Suse 9 (the two new opensuse10
machines seem much better - but maybe thats because they're new).
- new Houdini - is this less stable?
- thats all!

The only other factor that has been suggested is the video cards.  We're
using geforce 4200 to geforce 6800 cards.  However, I know that other
studios also use the lower-end non quadro cards and have been fine in
the past.

Any ideas/suggestions/rants most welcome.

Cheers,

Paul