[Sidefx-houdini-list] Re: New computer not fast

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Thu Jan 5 09:05:37 EST 2006

On Wednesday 04 January 2006 21:30, Mark Alexander wrote:
> Also, the Athlon64 has a built-in memory controller which supports
> dual-channel memory access. Make sure you have the memory installed
> correctly in the motherboard and your BIOS setup properly to take
> advantage of it! It'll give you faster mem accesses + more mem
> bandwidth.

	This is becoming the outstanding issue, especially with regard to compositing
and other large memory operations, on the PC platform(used to call it
Intel!  :P ).  Still amazes me looking at those bloody overpriced, soon to be
history SGI machines coming out that, despite having *really crappy* CPUs and
a brutally slow desktop, they can move that big HD/film data around like
nobody's business.  Has a huge impact on compositing.  The bottleneck is
moving and caching those big piccies internally.  Inferno compositors are
blown away by the general interactivity of the incoming Linux systems, but
they start to grimace when the big renders start up.  That's why their
approach to to start farming out renders to multiple farm systems, as opposed
to onboard with the graphics chipset.  I won't get into the obscenity that is
Discreet's pricing and restrictions for this :), but the approach is sound
IMHO.

	Somewhat less so with rendering, I suspect, unless you're getting into the
huge-texture map approach.

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada