[Sidefx-houdini-list] Re: New computer not fast

Doug Struthers dragonfly at dougstruthers.com
Wed Jan 4 16:29:31 EST 2006

Many thanks for all the helpful responses.

I like the idea to re-try the comparison using a single proc on both
machines.  Previously I ran two and checked using windows task mgr to see if
they were pegged.

I have 2gb of Kingston 400mhz ram and the mem. usage again with ms task mgr.
was below 1gb.

I will go ahead with purchasing the extra 2gb of ram.  Have wanted to try
that for some time.

Is there a further recommendation of a different proc. I could put into this
motherboard to get more?  I did look at the faster clocked AMD cpu's but
they certainly get up there in price.

I also wondered how many sata drives it might take to saturate the sata
channel?  I am trying 3 x 10,000 rpm Western Digital Raptors striped for
speed to begin with.

Despite the fact it does not render that much faster it certainly feels
snappy compared with the old one.

Thanks again for all your help.  Now I know not to go crazy trying to get
much more out of it.

Doug

How much memory do you have installed? A 64bit OS will use more memory
than a 32 bit OS (not quite twice as much, as you might think, but
somewhere around 1.4-1.8x as much).

If you don't have at least 1Gb, you may be starving mantra and/or
swapping to disk, both of which may contribute to slowing the render
down. 2Gb is recommended, and since you have a 64bit machine, you can go
beyond 2Gb and see the benefits of the extra mem more than with a 32bit OS.

Definitely try mantra -n 2 to speed up your renders, since you have 2 CPUs.

M.