[Sidefx-houdini-list] Re: New computer not fast

Dan Seddon dan.seddon at framestore-cfc.com
Wed Jan 4 14:17:24 EST 2006

Joe Drew wrote:

> Dan Seddon wrote:
>
>> Sounds like you're getting a fair increase to me  - it's going about
>> 40-50% faster. The 3800 is misleading sales talk as  it's really
>> going about 2 ghz and you're using a 32 bit operating system, so you
>> wont be getting any benefits from the 64bittyness.
>

> Remember, though, that clock speed (i.e. 2 GHz) doesn't mean
> performance. There's a reason that AMD says 3800, and that's that they
> do more work *per clock cycle* than Intel's chips.

Yup - I just meant in terms of comparing with Doug's old machine which
is an Athlon XP. Also, "real" clock speeds are probably better for
working out what the benefits are of jumping to 64 bit - as if both
Dougs old and new machines were 2ghz and he saw the same performance
leap that would be telling, but the 3800 number would make it harder to
measure.

Dan