[Sidefx-houdini-list] Re: New computer not fast

Joe Drew joe at sidefx.com
Wed Jan 4 13:39:22 EST 2006

Dan Seddon wrote:
> Sounds like you're getting a fair increase to me  - it's going about
> 40-50% faster. The 3800 is misleading sales talk as  it's really going
> about 2 ghz and you're using a 32 bit operating system, so you wont be
> getting any benefits from the 64bittyness.

Remember, though, that clock speed (i.e. 2 GHz) doesn't mean
performance. There's a reason that AMD says 3800, and that's that they
do more work *per clock cycle* than Intel's chips.

Also, I think John Coldrick's overstating the performance hit you get
from dual core vs. two single core processors. Generally, we're talking
percentage points (see http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/07/single/).
  And I echo his desire for dual dual machines.

Joe