[Sidefx-houdini-list] Re: New computer not fast

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Wed Jan 4 12:23:00 EST 2006

On Wednesday 04 January 2006 12:10, Doug Struthers wrote:
> Hi
>
> This is a little off Houdini topic, please excuse.
>
> I built a computer and compared with my old one and my anticipation it
> seems dog slow.

	I'll admit to not being nearly as up-to-date with the AMD line as I probably
should be, but boiled down - a dual core processor isn't as fast as two
single core processors.  If you combine that with the fact that your new dual
core has a faster clock than the old one, 1.4 isn't a particularly surprising
result.

	We're still running dual P3's here on our grid and they still go a
respectable clip.  They're slower, but on a grid it's acceptable.

	Also, the 64 bit thing may be a red herring - I'm running a dual 64 bit
system right now, and I've compared the 32 vs 64 bit mantra renders without
any huge difference in speed.  Slight at best.  I'm sure it's related more to
things like large memory footprints, etc.

	If I had to buy a new computer tomorrow, I'd only get a dual core because I
want to start integrating them into our shop and want to learn the gotchas.
If I wanted raw speed, I'd still get dual single core.  If I were rich, I'd
get a dual-dual.  :)

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada