[Sidefx-houdini-list] Re: New computer not fast

Doug Struthers dragonfly at dougstruthers.com
Wed Jan 4 12:10:18 EST 2006

Hi

This is a little off Houdini topic, please excuse.

I built a computer and compared with my old one and my anticipation it seems
dog slow.

New computer:
Windows xp pro x64
amd athlon 3800 64 dual core proc.
Mother board Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe  Part No.  90-M9LOPO-GOUAYZ
400 mhz Kingston ram.

Old computer
Windows 2000
AMD Athlon XP 1.65 ghz.
Some old dual proc. mother board.

I rendered the same frame on new and old using both procs:

Old time	4m30s
New time	3m7s

About x1.4

I was expected more?

I have not yet tried to overclock the motherboard but that would only make a
few percentage points difference, yes?

Thanks for any advice.

Doug

 Doug Struthers